What RMS, Torvalds and the like cost us
For every gross dude you tolerate, there's almost certainly several people who are pushed out of that space you created for him
The more influential the gross dude, the more people will emulate him and help to push out even more people
And it's mostly women who get pushed out
So for the likes of RMS and Torvalds, the damage they have done to the field of Computer Science may be incalculable
OMFG I just went to buy something using PayPal.
1. They didn't have a credit card on file. Fine. I'll add one. I get an error.
2. They recommend chat with support. Fine. I wait 10 minutes for support drone.
3. Support drone needs to authenticate me. Wants a mobile phone number. The one they have is out of date. He gives me a phone number to call.
4. I use Skype to dial the phone. I copy/paste the CC number to the voice response system. Poof! Works like a charm.
This makes no sense.
Tonight’s #overwatch is neither sober nor serious
Marketing math. Making mac and cheese in 10 minutes:
1. Boil 6 cups of water (takes 0 minutes)
2. Cook pasta 9-11 minutes (takes 9 minutes, even if you boil for 11 minutes)
3. Drain pasta (0 seconds because you multitask)
4. Add butter and stir (30 seconds)
5. Add pasta back to pan and stir (30 seconds)
Amazing how this is in any way “in 10 minutes”
extremely important museum plaque that addresses the language we use to talk about slavery in the american south. @OCRbot
About to grind out 10 competitive #overwatch qual matches. I’ve kinda gone off overwatch. But I’ve played every season since season 1. I’m not ready to miss out.
At my new house in the US, these are my #internet speed choices. 100Mbps, 300M, or 1 Gigabit! I currently have about 70Mb via BT in London. It's fine. I can't justify the gigabit connection. What am I missing?
Can't wait to get that #overwatch reward. Gonna get 0x000000000!
General purpose mastodon instance